Help Advice Wanted - Marlin FS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Been reading for a while and think I also need some help, any given would be appreciated!

I have been contacted by Marlin FS saying that I owe 11K on a Higher Purchase agreement, this is around 9/10 years old and I have heard nothing from them up until this point. The orginal creditor was British Credit Trust.

I sent them a CCA letter and they have responded with my signed form.

I have started payments off this debt but would like to know what my position is, is this statute barred or not? and also is there any loopholes that I could look at.

Obviously I have moved a few times in the ten years but can honestly say I have never been forwarded any mail from British car Trust or anyone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scotty

Hi Scotty and welcome to the CAG.

Has there definitely been a period of six consecutive years during which you neither made a payment nor acknowledged the alleged debt in writing?

(Assuming you are in England or Wales - substitute "five" for "six" if you are in Scotland)

SH

Send them this; http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

As long as there has been a clear period of six years without acknowledgement or payment from you then it is Statute Barred (five in Scotland).

Yes Scab at least 9 years.

Thanks for replying.

However, I have now started to make small payments. Does this affect my situation?

Only to the extent that you are gifting monies to an undeserving organization. It has no effect on the alleged debt being statute barred.

Once a debt is statute barred, it will always be statute barred. There only has to be a clear period of six years somewhere in the account's history - it does not have to be the last six years.

SH

You can check on-line if you have a CCJ CCJs, court orders & fines - Search yourself and others - Trust Online which costs £8.

If there is a CCJ and the original creditor hasn't enforced it within 6 years they would have to apply to the court for permission to & show a very good reason why.

• 2 weeks later...