Pay Freeze unfrozen- but only for some....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year we (our department) got a letter saying we would get a 3% pay rise this April. We were informed indirectly and not in writing that it would not be happening.

However, we have since found out that certain individuals in the company have been given raises in a very covert manner.

What are the legal implications of this?

I'm not a debtor- I'm a free man!!

Egg- Won

MBNA- Just started

Marbles- Its only a few pounds but if I win against MBNA then this will be my my 'showboat' round.

No we have no union here.

The pay freeze was across the board (apparently) and as stated earlier we haven't even been told (directly) that our April pay rise was not going to happen.

The people given these clandestine pay rises have been given them to stop them leaving. Us being the IT department see everything and its quite insulting to find out that it could just be our department that is being left out.

I'm not a debtor- I'm a free man!!

Egg- Won

MBNA- Just started

Marbles- Its only a few pounds but if I win against MBNA then this will be my my 'showboat' round.

Guest Old_andrew2018

It not unknown for companies to offer a pay rise to keep certain staff who are important (commercially) to them.

Andy

Last year we (our department) got a letter saying we would get a 3% pay rise this April.

Well depending on the precise wording of this letter, the employees would be faced with two options.

1) The pay rise was described as being entirely discretionary, and if so, provided the reason for giving the rise to some and not others, was not a prohibited one (e.g. race, sex, ethnic origin etc), then perfectly legitimately withheld.

2) You have been promised a rise, that because of it's unambiguous wording has become part of your T & C's of employment. If denied the same, your employer is in breach of contract and you can:

1) Resign and claim constructive dismissal (assuming 12 mths service)

2) Continue to work,but make it clear this was under protest, e.g by raising a grievance.

3) Continue to work, and say noting.

I have no idea, which option is best for you you, only you know the right choice.

Good luck

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]