Sky Installation-Damaged Roof

dandy1764
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone has had a rpoblem with Sky engineers going onto roofs to install dish and damaging roof.

My neighbour had a dish that was faulty inspected by engineer and I did not want anyone on the roof as it is a old Victorian roof and it was not made for anyone clambering about on least of all some of these so called engineers!

After the guy came off the roof I went up through my roof space to inspect my roof and the idiot had ripped up the co axial cable from under the lead flashing and this had came away from the wall head and the coping stone that held it ....He had clearly slipped while up there as my wife and I had heard a thud from above while he was up there. There were slates missing and he had replaced parts and left them lying in the gulley.

I was furious and initially my neighbour...(we dont get on) had said he would be responsible for any damage the caused as I was lettign them onot our mutual roof to carry out this maintenance.

I tried my best to fix what damage was done but three nights later the heavens opened and at one in the morning we had a deluge of water come through our living room cieling....all this awoke the children and I was on the roof wrestlling with the weather to try and stem the ingress of water.

I approached my neighbour who reluctantly said he would get in touch with Sky....who in turn said its a third party installer and they would investigate...which they did and they claim the roof was old damage and this was always like that .Now I have pics of what it was like before the bafoon went onto the roof as there was a problem with the chimney and I have pics right after and the next day before the water came in.

We ended up having to claim on our insurance and they only paid ourt 50% of the claim as the neighbours were responsible for the other 50%. My insurers then asked the neigbours for their share only to be told by their Insurance that they are not covered for accidental damage.

We cant believe this...it seems really unfair that they can cause this much hassle not take responsibilty.

1/ Should my neighbours Mortgage Lender be insisting on the right cover for accidental damage if they are mutually responsible for the roof?

2/ Should we sue Sky/Satelite Services over this whole fiasco...we did consult a lawyer who said we had been paid half so it was unlikely they could get much more out of them from any court action? hmm

3/ Should I sue my neighbour for their part in the whole fiasco as he did say he would be reponsible for any damage?

That was 6 months ago and since the neighbour has just arranged to have the roof fixed (The Insurance fixed it with a temp repair meantime). Which we paid half off £250 and now our premuims on the policy has increased I feel a little aggrieved at this.

Can anyone help with a little advice of how best to proceed. I am a little concerned that if the roof came in for whatever reason then the we will be picking up the bill and the neighbours would not be covered or concerned.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

hiya,

first i need to know who done the install.

Was it sky them selves or did they contract it out to their subcontractors or was it installed by ad independant company?

the reason is Sky do have a good procedure for damage to properties.

Normally if the Sky account holder calls sky and reports damage, a manger normally attends to assess it and then they normally give authoriaxation for you to get someoe to sort it or they will arrange it for you.

From what it you have already said it has not been sky or their subbies but and indep.

On how to proceed you really need to find out who your neighbour got to install they sky.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

hi Ida,

Thanks for the input ....it was an independant install as the roof is so high that the sky engineers are not insured to go on the roof. Sky passed the buck the ....neighbour was not covered for accidental damage and I think the recourse would be to raise a court action against Sky.

But when I say and independant they are a partner (subbie) so Sky are responsible. Sat Services were the company and they do not care what goes on up on the roof....they do not think there actions on the roof are monitored...but they are wrong on this count.

Again thanks for the input.....I am considering going after compensation from Sky...what do you think?

cheers

if it was an indepedant install then it would need to be the indep not sky (you have no claim voa sky) but because they were contracted by your neighbour i think it would actually be them you need to persue

id x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi Ida,

Sorry my jumbled up garbaggio story.

It was a work partner of Sky, Sat Services,who have depots all over the country.

The job is booked by the neighbour throgh Sky and subbied out to this mob. Summons coming to Sky and they can deal with it any way the want.

Thanks for input.

I am in Fife also...your not my neebor are ya?

OJ

Hi Ida,

Sorry my jumbled up garbaggio story.

It was a work partner of Sky, Sat Services,who have depots all over the country.

The job is booked by the neighbour throgh Sky and subbied out to this mob. Summons coming to Sky and they can deal with it any way the want.

Thanks for input.

I am in Fife also...your not my neebor are ya?

OJ

Don't know any dandy's :p

Idax