Have I been ripped off on this MOT?

Jenny54321
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'd be grateful for any help you can offer.

I took my car for an MOT this morning. It failed but the fault was identical to a fault their sister garage had failed it on 2 years ago. My dad took the car then and paid them the £190 for the repair but I got the impression he felt ripped off even back then. He never went back to that chain of garages again.

This is the fault. (The wording on the MOT failure sheet is identical to 2 years ago when £190 was paid to repair it.)

Nearside (and offside) Macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment.

Since the repair 2 years ago the car has done 900 (no that's not a typo) miles and that's over normal road, no speed bumps.

I've owned cars for years and never had this fault before let alone twice in 2 years on a car that I don't use much so I don't know what to think. Can I get this car tested somewhere else or is the fault already recorded on the national database?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jen

You always go to another garage and ask them to check this strut out, doesnt have to be another mot check, just a quick look and opinion and see what there say, if there say its fine, just get them to do the MOT then

i am at the moment training to be an mot tester. firstly what car is it as certain cars have an amount of play in theses components by design and they must be tested with the weight on them, if you are unhappy you can ask the test staion for an appeal form though proving negligence is difficult without the [faulty components] the best course of action would have been to appeal before having the work done then a VOSA rep would check the car and if he disagreed he would warn the testing station and he would test your car.

get it checked at another test centre. If you thought you were ripped off last time, why go back to the sister garage anyway?

Its not Arn*ld Cl*rk* by any chance?