Nationwide DN valid or not? part 2

tommy271007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys!

I am in the middle of a dispute with Nationwide who defaulted my flexaccount, while account was in dispute because of the bank charges back in January 2007.

Unfortunately because of the default they placed on my otherwise spotless credit files, i am unable to get a job as an accountant because of this adverse data!! Nationwide have been very unreasonable and will not remove adverse data even though i have paid the debt in full (of which 100% are bank charges)

I am looking at whether my default notices they issued relating to my flexaccount are defective - is there any legal avenues to get them to remove adverse data from credit files if it was proved that the paperwork are not in order? (the debt has been paid in full).

I have two default notices issued of which both are actually quite different -

18th April 2006 and 28th November 2006. Here it goes:

First DN issued April 2006

IMPORTANT – YOU SHOULD READ THIS CAREFULLY

Default Notice

Served under Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Dated 18th April 2006

Re: Mr Joe P Bloggs

From Nationwide Building Society whose Flexaccounts Collections Default Management Department is at Kings Park Road, Moulton Park, NORTHAMPTON NN3 6NW – TELEPHONE NUMBER 01793 556877

We hereby give notice of default in respect of the society’s agreement with you. Details of which are shown below.

Agreement: FlexAccount No: 80/ 0511/63263290

Provision breached:- Condition 11

Nature of breach:- Failure upon demand to immediately bring back into credit the balance upon the above

numbered Flexaccount upon which an unauthorised debit balance has been created by

the account holder by withdrawals or payments.

Action required by you to remedy the breach:-

(a) To repay the overdraft in full

(b) To return all unused cheques, guarantee card(s) and Flexaccount cash card(s) still in

your procession. Please ensure they are cut in half before posting them to the above

address.

Date by which action is required: 12 O’Clock 28th April 2006

IF THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE IS TAKEN BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN NO

FURTHER ENFORCEMENT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN RESPECT OF THE BREACH.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU.

(a) Demand immediate payment of the overdrawn sum, currently £100, together with interest

(b) Commence Court proceedings in the County Court to recover this sum

Payment to be made is amount overdrawn £100.

IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY IN PAYING ANY SUM OWNING UNDER THE AGREEMENT OR TAKING ANY OTHER ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE, YOU CAN APPLY TO THE COURT WHICH MAY MAKE AN ORDER ALLOWING YOU OR ANY SUERTY MORE TIME

IF YOU ARE NOT SO SURE WHAT TO DO, YOU SHOULD ETC ETC ……

This was resolved shortly after i received the April 2006 DN account back in order.

But then i had another DN issued in November 2006 (dispute over bank charges) which is very different to the one DN i received April 2006.

Here is the second DN issued 28th November 2006.

IMPORTANT – YOU SHOULD READ THIS CAREFULLY

Default Notice

Served under Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Date: 28th November 2006

To: Mr Joe P Bloggs

From: Nationwide Building Society whose Collections address is Lending Control, Nationwide Building Society, Kings Park Road, Moulton Park, NORTHAMPTON NN3 6NW

We hereby give notice of default in respect of the society’s agreement with you. Details of which are shown below.

Type of Agreement: FlexAccount

Account Number: 0511/63263290

Provision Breached: the Agreement requires that if an unauthorised overdraft is created, the account must be bought into credit immediately

Nature of Breach: Failure to immediately bring back into credit the balance upon the above numbered Flexaccount upon which an unauthorised debit balance has been created.

Action required by you:

(a) To repay the overdraft in full

(b) To return all unused cheques, guarantee card(s) and Flexaccount card(s) still in your procession. If posting, please ensure they are cut in half before sending.

Date by which action is required: 12th December 2006

IF THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE IS TAKEN BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN NO

FURTHER ENFORCEMENT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN RESPECT OF THE BREACH.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU.

Further Action: We may commence legal proceedings to recover the overdraft in full.

IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY IN PAYING ANY SUM OWNING UNDER THE AGREEMENT OR TAKING ANY OTHER ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE, YOU CAN APPLY TO THE COURT WHICH MAY MAKE AN ORDER ALLOWING YOU OR ANY SUERTY MORE TIME

IF YOU ARE NOT SO SURE WHAT TO DO, YOU SHOULD ETC ETC ……

Is there any discrepancies on both DN's? Are they both invalid?

Can i, legally, challenge Nationwide to remove adverse data from my credit files due to defective DN's? The debt is paid in FULL.

I appreciate any advice.

Cheers

As I have said above,

The letters have NO BEARING on the default that the CRA has against you.

If you want it removed, you will have to issue Court Proceedings for the return of the unfair charges and the removal of the unfair info that they have passed onto the CRA's.

Or just write and ask them first.

Jogs

If there are defective DN's with discrepancies, then surely on those grounds, the adverse data should be removed from credit files as they are invalid? Can you explain to me why the defective DN have no bearing on the default held by CRA's?

Sorry, the question I asked here you had already answered above :D

What Jogs says is correct. There is a difference between a Default Notice and a default registerd with a CRA. A DN is a legal requirement from the company if they want to take steps to demand payment of a sum owed. A default is a marker placed by a creditor in respect of late payment/ non payment / erratic payments.

The difference between the two had been explained far more coherently elsewhere on the forums.

Just off to find those links I promised BRB

Edited by citizenB
question already answered

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/111211-defaults-background-removal-methods.html

Here you go, the thread above from car2403. Should give you some idea of how to go about it and what to expect along the way. :D

Jogs, if I read the first post correctly the account went overdrawn purely due to bank charges. Would this make a difference in the reporting of the defaults to the CRAs ?

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/111211-defaults-background-removal-methods.html

Here you go, the thread above from car2403. Should give you some idea of how to go about it and what to expect along the way. :D

Jogs, if I read the first post correctly the account went overdrawn purely due to bank charges. Would this make a difference in the reporting of the defaults to the CRAs ?

Technically Yes.

As in the charges shoudn't have been applied, so there never was any default to be registered.

Jogs

Thanks Jogs:D

Tommy, the question you asked re the current account/ consumer credit act. Here are some replies from the site team :)

The answer is yes (and no). Overdrafts are exempt from the provisions of Part V (ie ss 55-73 - see s74) of the Act. Note that, in particular, s61 is in Part V.

The act

Results within legislation - Statute Law Database

Citizenb a few links here (I know of one cagger who sent a CCA request for an OD and got away with it, I think it was Mr Ton !!!)

OVERDRAFTS and the Consumer Credit Act

CCAs and overdrafts

Bank Account CCA

CCA and Overdrafts - The Final Word?

HTH

BCOBS