Nephew told he has a criminal record !!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was chatting on the phone to my sister a while ago. She told me that her son got a part time job at a nearby car wash but it only lasted one day.

The carwash is sited at a filling station and is leased from the owner of the filling station. The owner of the filling station has several shops around Northern Ireland, most of wihich are filling stations.

My nephew previously worked at one of these shops before getting a P/T job at a local supermarket.

My sister told me that the woman who has, or had a position of authority at this shop (don't know her exact job title/role) also has the same role at the filling station.

According to my sister, this woman told the owner of the car wash that she didn't want anyone from that shop working on the site of the filling station. Furthermore she also told the car wash owner that my nephew had a criminal record. I know without having to ask that this is untrue.

I would think that if he had a criminal record his parents would be the first to know.

I can understand the owner of the carwash not wanting to jeapordise his lease, but I would have thought it was up to him to decide who he employed.

My brother in law tried to contact the guy who owns the filling station but hasn't been able to talk to him yet. I have no doubt he knows nothing of the way this woman is running things and I would like to think that he would be none to happy when he finds out.

Can anyone advise in the best course of action so that this woman is dealt with appropriatly and that my nephew can get his job back.

Edited by djgordyp

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

has he had a CRB check done which has come back showing a criminal record?, has he ever been in trouble with the police?.

if the answer to both these questions is no, then they have no business telling people that he has a criminal record, in fact, they have no business telling people anyway, even if it is true.

if he is showing a criminal record on a CRB check when he has never had any kind of trouble with the police, then he needs to contact the CRB people ASAP, as his name could have been linked to someone else with the same name who has, if this isnt rectified it will follow him around for the rest of his life.

Personally I doubt very much if this came from a CRB check. If you read the paragraph again :-

this woman told the owner of the car wash that she didn't want anyone from that shop working on the site of the filling station. Furthermore she also told the car wash owner that my nephew had a criminal record.

I believe this is just out of some sort of spite. Like I said in my OP, my nephew previously worked at the other shop.

As for her other comment. Can she tell the owner of the carwash who he can or can't employ ?

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Any thoughts ??

He has his driving test coming up soon so could do with getting this job back if possible.

Paid in full in March 07

I once received a police caution ( that I did not feel need to be disclose to my parents) that although many years later no longer exists, I am still required to declare this past caution due to the nature of my job.

As such if your nephew did have a caution and declared it then he's done nothing wrong.

What really interests me in this case though, is that you state the women from the car wash wants no one from the other shops working with her.

In my job I am paid to be inquisitive therefore I can not help nor wonder what on Earth that lady is getting up to? What is she hiding? What worries her about an employee from another part of the business working with her? What might they see or discover?

According to my sister, this woman told the owner of the car wash that she didn't want anyone from that shop working on the site of the filling station.
How does your sister know this?

Before anyone can advise, you should be aware that what you have just told us if "she said, he said, he was told"... It's all hearsay.

Your nephew lost his job. He told his mum something that presumably he was told that this woman had said and his mum told you. At this point, it's not even hearsay anymore, it's gossip and there is not a shred of evidence.

If you want to get to the bottom of it, I suggest that first you get the facts from your nephew himself. Why was he let go at the end of the day? Who fired him? What reasons, if any, was he given? Where does he get the stuff about the woman and the police record thing?

Secondly, you want to ask him, in confidence, just between him and you, whether he may in fact have had trouble with the police. Yes, I'm sure you believe your sister would know all about it, but you are in fact completely mistaken in this. If there is something he doesn't want his parents to know, there are plenty of ways to hide them, especially if he's over 18.

If all the above tallies, then you need to go up the chain to the person who told this to your nephew and ask them if it is true. At this point, I am pretty sure that whoever told you will stonewall and deny it, but you never know, you might strike lucky.

If and when you do get confimation 1st hand that this woman did in fact make your nephew lose his job, then he might have a case for slander, and breach of the DPA if the information she got was through accessing work records.

I have to tell you though that it all looks both flimsy and very circumstantial and that it is extremely unlikely that it would get your nephew his job back. :-(

Edited by Bookworm
sorry, just realised I had messed up the copy/pasting part.

Hi

Thanks for your comments BW and I can understand where you are coming from. If you rely on hearsay things can be misinterpreted or misunderstood ( same thing probably :D).

I think what is going to happen now is, his father is going to have a word with the person who runs the carwash and find out exactly what she said. Then I think it will be left in the hands of a solicitor. It may be only a carwash in a rural community but that's no reason to let people off with saying things like that.

Paid in full in March 07