• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

when things go wrong

mitch161
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok when things go wrong don't shout to high heaven and take advice to threaten small claims court.

if you actually read the useful guides on here about how to process a small claims court case you have to write to head office stating your intentions of wanting a recission or replacement giving them sufficient time to read, acknowledge and reply to your letter

thats 7-14 days

if the reply is not satisfactory, writing another letter giving them notice that you wish to proceed with a small claims case, giving them enough time to reply.

thats another 7-14 days.

ok so if you go to store as many people mention and they cant repair or wont replace it as it is not their policy to and you wish to proceed with small claims. think about it. it will take 14-28 days to just inform them of this.

thats 14-28 days you wil be without your pc.

how about this.

call the engineer/repair line and get it fixed.

yes it will be normally 14 days, at most 28 days to get fixed under guarantee. but after the 28day from booking the repair if it not back and working you can use their own policy against them and request a replacement.

no letter writing. plus you might actually get your laptop sorted in less time then proceeding with small claims.

hope this helps those non legal minded people who think legal options are the only route to go if the store says no

Spoken like a true DSGi employee, I should know, I'm one too.

Whilst I do see your point that issuing small claims action does usualy take longer than getting an item repaired. I think most people don't know that under the sale of goods act, they are entitled to a repair, or replacement depending on the inconvinence caused and what is the most cost effective remedy for the company.

The thing that bothers most people, myself included is that DSGi seem to believe it is their god given right to misinterpret the law to people. And trick them through cleverly worded store policy into thinking they are entitled to nothing other than a repair on most large items. Giving them a greater chance of selling extended guarantees and minimising expensive replacements with cheaper repairs.

I agree, small claims action should be a last resort, and a courts time should never be wasted unless all other avenues have been exhausted, but I also disagree that a company so huge should be able to get away with stonewalling, and tricking people into thinking a repair is their only option. And that after a year, they're on their own unless they have an extended warantee, which is just a plain lie.

As one of the few employees that really hates the DSGi aftersales attitude, I would welcome people taking the company to court, if enough people do it, maybe they'll change their ways. Although I highly doubt it.

im not a dsgi employee i just have tried the small claims route and afterwords realised the time it took to threaten and stress self out to get company to give me vouchers was longer then just getting it sorted. all i wanted was a working machine.

if there was a way of having the small claims bit setup and sorted in lets say 2 weeks then i certainly would have given it a go again if the store not offer a repair or replacement within 2 weeks of it becoming faulty.

yes 4 weeks is a long time. but most repairs i have read are done in like 14 days from the repair pickup day. so most of the time just sending it off for repair is faster.

the stores from what i have read are not trained to analyse laptops, thats why they have the external engineers. so i find it pointless demanding that they replace it because i know that the company needs time to inspect it. even under 6 months from purchase it might be deemed as manufacturing defect automatically but they still need time to verify to prove otherwise.

so yea i got stung waiting for a couple weeks of arguing i wont except a repair as i need it sorted sooner then 2-4 weeks. and then thought the small claims would give me my rights. but the time it took was longer then what i seem as convenient to me.

maybe thats what dsgi have the 28day repair policy, because they know it takes about a month to process a case, so if the court deems this as reasonable time just to reach them to seek action then dsgi can use same time scale to sort out a repair/replacement.

if small claims could take only 2 weeks to action then DSGI would certainly have to act faster. or theyd get far more claims against them

• 2 months later...

When I was a PC World Manager we (managers and staff) got absolutely no training in SOGA and consumer rights. I said to my GM that I would run a small session one Sunday and I was told that I wasn't allowed to!

Although this was from the same man who told me that my job should have priority over my wife and new born child!

I left soon after...

• 3 months later...

keys can easily be put back.

as for the battery charger

has a green light on it?

you really need to start your own thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi All

Yes, i remember a few years back after taking my computer back the 40th time to the shop for repair. Telling the manager at the time he needed to replace it give me my money back or i'll take PC World to Court.

Reply from the manager was you can take us to Court but where to big for you and you won't win the day.

Took them to Court and Won!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found PC World one of the hardest companies to deal with if anything went wrong.

Gaz

• 2 months later...

I've just been told by their customer services that they can't talk about my case over the phone and it all now has to be done via email which is fine except they don't respond in a timely fashion.

I have threatened court action but in the same email offer them a settlement figure for partial refund (repair costs in region of £200 on a £350 laptop is uneconomical in my eyes) or a replecement laptop.

I would be extremely happy to be offered vouchers back in order to purchase a laptop of like for like or better specs but somehow, I think I have months of wrangling.

It's my daughters laptop and she's 3rd yr Uni so it's a crucial piece of kit. Perhaps I can advise them of the costs of hiring a laptop from the Uni for the duration it takes them to surrender to the inevitable. Maybe that will be an incentive for them to deal with it quickly.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41