Can a Letting Agent break a letting contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I let my property to a letting agent for a fixed period of 12 months. The letting agent even issued a written Rent Guarantee for the 12 months whether they were able to rent the property or not. There is no break clause in the 12 months agreement. Now in the fourth month of the agreement I have received a letter from them giving me one months notice that they will be returning the property back to me. Can they do that and what are my options.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, the MCOL is a online HMCS site that allows you to file for damages and other claims in the courts: Her Majesty's Courts Service. But before filing I think you should wait for some advice from more experienced members (aka planner) as I am not sure what you should put down on your particulars of claim (Well it would be something like "So and so company signed a no break claus contract to rent out my property and then changed the terms of the contract without my permissionand against the terms of the contract".

But is this a well known estate agents or a local one to your area ? only reason I am asking is that I know of quite a few in my area that have gone to the wall with the current market conditions, so maybe they will as well, so if you do sue they may wind up before judgement, maybe asking them to pay compensation for half the term amount for breaking the contract may be the next port of call (e.g. they want to stop 4 months in, you want payment for 4 months).

Just my 2 cents worth, as I said, wait for a more experienced member to come along............

Well, a contract is a contract, if the LA has broken the contract, the same rules apply as if you had broken the contract. If it were to be you breaking the contract, I dare say the LA would be bringing on the legal action.

Please note, my advice is only my opinion.

If you have found my advice helpful, please tip my scales, thank you