British Gas & Buchanan Clark & Wells

barella
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping for some advice on a matter that is causing great distress to my father.

He sold his house after a divorce in September 2006. He advised British Gas of final meter readings for both gas and electric on 6th September. The actual date of sale was 7th September. He received the 'final' bills (stating meter readings on 6th Sep06) and paid them.

Now, 2 years on and he has been contacted by two debt collection agencies chasing payment of bills for gas and electric for dates AFTER he moved out.

We sent copies of the last bills he received with the payment stamps. Along with copies of the solicitors letter confirming date of sale and even the names of the new owners.

The company chasing the electric accepted this evidence and closed the matter. We have heard nothing since.

However, Buchanan Clark and Wells are a different story. They don't consider the copies of bills paid and confirmation of sale from the solicitor as evidence that my father is not liable for this debt. They are stating British Gas terms and conditions and because British Gas did not update their records correctly is not their problem.

The guy I spoke to from Buchanan Clark and Wells was unbelievable arrogant and argumentative from the word go, his bullying words and tone were quite disgusting! Any reasonable person can see this debt is not my fathers and I said since he does not have the money to pay (almost £1000) it will have to go to court. This man then started to say how much worse it is going to get for him saying it will become a bancruptcy order (or words to that effect) and his posessions will be ceased. I said he has nothing to be ceased. He then said there will be an attachment of earnings to which I said he doesnt work he is on benefits, so he said the courts will take his benefit from him. My father is getting on, he isn't working (the over 50 scrap heap!), he is on anti-depressants and lives in a bedsit. It's really quite distressing.

This guy was unbelievable and was clearly got a kick out of the phone call being rude and argumentative every step of the way. I confess to calling this man an arrogant pr*ck before putting the phone down on him.

Can I request that all further communication is in writing to stop the phone calls (which I consider to be harrassing)?

Anyone any advice on how to proceed from here?

Abbey National

Approx £250 bank charges refunded by Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

£30 refund of default payments refunded after they messed up a DD

United Utilities

£25 compensation from United Utilities for a stream of errors on my account. Started in November and still awaiting closure and cheque in May 2008

Yes, don't speak to them - all they will do is harrass you for payment that clearly is not due. You sent the DCA proof of payment of the final bills and proof of when your Father left the house in question so they have no claim against him.

thanks pinky

I decided to call British Gas and explained the situation and surprise surprise its a 'simple matter that can easily be sorted in a week'.

British Gas is going to bring the debt back to their system so its 'live' again before carrying out a 'moving out' process using the final meter readings and date of move (which thankfully we still have). This is what was meant to happen back in September 2006. I'm told the account will then be closed and my father won't be pursued for the debt again. Fingers crossed it WILL actually be that simple but I'm going to be optimistic.

It really brings it home how debt collection agencies operate. They make out there is no other way of sorting it out other than paying but in actual fact the consumer can contact the company the debt was for and get it sorted easily and communicate with a far more reasonable and friendly person!

I understand how debts get referred to debt collection agencies (when there is no forwarding address to communicate with the customer for example) but my advice to anyone who is contacted by a debt collection agency for a debt that isn't theirs, to not enter into any communication with them at all. I found that 'assisting' Buchanan Clark and Wells was pointless. Instead, if possible, go straight to the company who you apparently owe the debt to and communicate with them.

Abbey National

Approx £250 bank charges refunded by Abbey National

Close Premium Finance

£30 refund of default payments refunded after they messed up a DD

United Utilities

£25 compensation from United Utilities for a stream of errors on my account. Started in November and still awaiting closure and cheque in May 2008

This guy was unbelievable and was clearly got a kick out of the phone call being rude and argumentative every step of the way. I confess to calling this man an arrogant pr*ck before putting the phone down on him.

Well Done;) - now request their complaints procedure and report his unacceptable behaviour, after 8 weeks and if they fail to respond, report them to TS for their threats and behaviour.

Good - I am so glad you have got that sorted out. And as PGH advises, make a formal complaint about BCW's behaviour. The more complaints there are, the more pressure is put on these cowboys to conform to the law and treat people with respect.