Agents want money to fumigate, but deposit returned already.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I moved out of my old house two weeks ago and last Friday my deposit was returned in full.

However today the letting agency rung me saying the house has fleas and they want £70 off me to fumigate the place.

Yes I had a cat, however she never had fleas and I am sure one of us would of noticed if we had fleas in the house. The cat was treated every month. But I understand they can go unnoticed by some people and I know how horrible it is.

I just wondered do I have to pay this, now my deposit has been returned? Surely in the last seven days they should of noticed, although new people moved in on a Monday after the Saturday we moved out. So they didn't check.

Any advice appreciated, even if I should pay it !

Let them sue. To be honest, you MAY lose in court on this one. But with the onus being on them to proactively pursue you, as opposed to simply deducting from deposit, I suspect a polite but firm letter asking them to prove that any infestation is down to yourself, and did not arise during the interim period between tenancies, would result in a total dropping of the claim.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thats not really "proof" though - if you can show due diligence in frequent treatments etc, they would struggle to prove this.

I still think you should stand your ground, even if only until they threaten court action.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

• 5 weeks later...

hi, is this situation sorted yet?

I have a similar problem where the LA wont give me my deposit back pending flea treatment, i like you also had a cat and have very sensitive eczema so wouldv'e easily picked up on fleas in the house.

I would go with the 'prove it' scenario, let them prove the fleas weren't their in the 1st place as flea larva can lay dormant for up to 6 months.

Hope this is sorted for you

Hi there,

Sorry for not replying sooner. Basically I sent them a letter saying I required proof it was my fault.

I also printed off two receipts from a website selling flea treatments as further proof my cat was treated every month.

I have yet to receive a reply, so hopefully the case is closed.;)

However in my case I got the deposit back before the agents asked for the flea treatment cost, as 8 days had passed since I moved out and new tenants had moved in. As you haven't got the deposit yet it might be a different process.

Hopefully someone with more expertise can provide more advice, assuming the deposit is protected (personally) I would accept the amount offered and dispute the rest with the scheme administrator. Of course if its not protected then its a different scenario all together.

Mine wanted £82 to fumigate a three bedroom terraced house, so if there asking £200 the landlord may be trying to pull a fast one. I think you could possibly demand the landlord obtains three quotes etc.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Edited by danielson81
  • Haha 1