Hello from a broken man

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:confused:

Found this site whilst wandering mindlessly thro the net wondering what to do next ???

I had a breakdown and fell into a depression and subsequently got into c£70k debts - having had a £40k management job and the wife having a £20k admin job - all credit cards maxd out stupidly keeping the lifestyle going and hoping something was over the horizon.

Sold the house and raised about half the cash needed to settle the blood sucking leeches and made pro rata offers - 80% of em accepted and have been paid.

Wife gave up good job to support me and we relocated into private rented accom.

Were initially awarded Income Support and then they changed their mind as I am apparently loaded (note all funds raised earmarked to creditors - most settled) So we were awarded council tax credit and housing credit and then it was just as quickly pulled away.

I am left with about £10k in savings ear marked for the 3 remaining creditors who are digging their heals in.

I am penalised by losing out on benefits until these funds are used up.

How can I get these last few creditors to see sense so that I can get rid of this damn money, leave the nightmare behind, get into rented accom. lead a simple life so that I can get well and we can become earners (hence contributors) again??:|

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Consumer Forums. Did you incur any charges on those credit cards for overlimit charges/late payment fees?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Numerous times. But as I was in a mess and shoving letters in drawers etc I cant be specific.

I set up a DMP thro CCCS and paid off £360 pcm for a while - but once the sick pay etc dried up I was making token and eventually no payments

2 creditors secured charging orders and MBNA was one of them - they were the worst offenders in overdue charges etc - we even obtained a £100 sweetener from them when they actually contacted a NEIGHBOUR by phone.

They even sent a postcard once saying Hi Steven please ring $$$$$ and the card wasnt marked MBNA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd spend your first £3 sending each of them a CCA request.

Letter N in the templates file.

If they can't supply a signed copy of your agreement it will give you greater negotiating power.:D Good luck.

CCA request ?????? letter N ???

Duh - me fick northerner ;) hehe :D exp;ain pls :oops:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, Special Brew.

I'll move this thread to the Debt Collectors Forum, you should get the help you require in there.

Regards.

Scott.

• Haha 1
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

Sorry to hear things have been so bad for you...Hopefully it's all on the up now...:D

Don't sign the letter, just print your name and send it recorded delivery and make sure you keep a copy...Once you go through this they will be begging you for a Full and Final..And remember, never ever speak to them on the phone...do everything in writing...

Ta ta..M

:)** Any opinion expressed by me is given with the best intentions - But I could be wrong so bear that in mind**:)

Missed Call Checker - http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Calls.aspx/077/m

Hello,

You will be glad you stumbled across us! And less of the 'fick northener' :p

• Haha 1

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Hey, you are not broken, you are under renovation that is all. You can and will get back on your feet. There are loads of great people on here who can help with anything (it seems). Get those letters sent off, refuse to speak to anyone on the phone, and any credit cards you have had charges on and settled on get claiming charges back. You have come to the right place.

• Haha 2

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Hey special brew, you think you got problems, you should read the thread about the woman who bought chain-mail bra that didn't fit and only got half her money back....:D...Sounds like there should be a punchline to that...hehe

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/159155-ripped-off-american-bondage.html

Now that is a problem no-one should ever have...;)

Hope everything is going OK....Cheers..M

• Haha 1

:)** Any opinion expressed by me is given with the best intentions - But I could be wrong so bear that in mind**:)

Missed Call Checker - http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Calls.aspx/077/m

Feeling any better yet? At least the sun was out up here today :D

• Haha 1

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

We all thought we were broken but really debt nothing even near to a life sentance, its just a financial set back that will last a few years...

At the same time though when you've been there you will come out a new man, you will be happier and you wont want to go back :D

• Haha 1

Have your seen a Welfare Rights person as to benefits as you are allowed £16,000 in savings to claim housing benefit so your 10K should make no difference. Your Local Authority's website should identify a Welfare Rights person for you to speak to.

• Haha 1

;)

Am up beat and watching guys

TYVM 4 pointers

Letters have been sent and funds reserved :sad:

But I am not going 2 b walked over but will honour and clear these debts

I may b a bit quiet until resolved - but it's what I have read here and pointers received that I am following.

Softly Softly Catchy Monkey :cool:

It took me years to screw up (all my fault - hands up - no charity wanted) so I am undoing this mess with your help.

Medication and therapy for the medical factors + expert and experienced support on the financial issues here. Maybe I am on the road to recovery ??:roll:

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, Special.

Good to hear you've taken the Bull by the Horns, stick with it we're all with you :)

Regards.

Scott.

• Haha 1
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Just wanted to say hi, well done and good luck. I have just read through your thread and I think your well on your way to recovery.

I also had a breakdown started to get better but then fell ill with another illness which in turn put me right back down there again and I was unable to work. I lost my job (terminated on medical grounds they called it!) and was maxed out to the limits on credit cards. It all takes it toll but I know too well that battling a mental illness and trying to sort out financial affairs with companies that make things as stressful and awkward for you as possible does take it toll even more.

I am paying my debts back through a debt management programme and it has all been going well once it was all sorted, until now 1 company is trying to turn it sour.

I was at my wits end but the lovely people of CAG have helped me no end and instead of pulling the covers over my head, I have been on here read lots and got loads of advice. It does make you feel more upbeat and less alone.

Good luck with all aspects

• Haha 2

Have your seen a Welfare Rights person as to benefits as you are allowed £16,000 in savings to claim housing benefit so your 10K should make no difference. Your Local Authority's website should identify a Welfare Rights person for you to speak to.

Any savings over £16k = no entitlement

Savings over £6k and up to £16k and you loose £1pw from benefit for every £1k over the 6 (I think) :|

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Still really annoys me that when I sold I forewarned DHSS etc with a detailed plan of action with a use of the funds - have updated them with transactions and bank statements - and they treat me as tho' I have won the lottery and stop IS, Housing and Council tax benefits.

I'm NOT SUDDENLY RICH :mad: I am sitting on funds ear marked for creditors and am now having to use this 'dirty money' to live off like some sort of leper.

I paid tax at 40 % when I was a high flyer - I messed up and got ill - and am penalised.

:oops:

This country stinks. Come in from the EU and you are housed and funded. Take drugs and fail to pay your rent and the authorities treat you like you are a victim. Pay over the odds taxes for scores of years and mess up and you are right at the bottom of the food chain.

Hmm ..... time for my medication :Cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you not qualify for incapcity benefit instead of income support being on the sick? I know its not much a week but that does not go on what you have in savings etc, it is sick pay but paid through the jobcentre/benefits. Plus the more you paid into the system the higher level I think you will receive.

Also because you wife is your carer you could try for carers/attendence allowance and disability living allowance.

HTH

Please see your Welfare Rights Officer you could do with some really good benefit advice as you are obviously not claiming what you should be entitled to. My daughter had a breakdown in 1996 the severity of her breakdown was such that she will never work again and she gets DLA. I have to agree with your rant as I had very little help when she was ill and she had an eight year old daughter which I looked after, 2 properties and full time work, and because she was in hospital for seven months they reduced her benefits despite the fact that she had a child and a property.

good luck don't let them get you down.