Scottish jurisdiction - from Mike Dailly, Govan Law centre

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello [bankFodder]

We have been getting a lot of e-mails about which part of the UK people can raise proceedings.

This is clearly important for those people with claims of a thousand+ pounds (given the Scottish small claims limit of £750 and the Northern Ireland limit of £2,000; as against the English limit of £5,000). I also think England-based claimants are sometimes confused when suing Scottish banks.

Govan Law Centre doesn't have the resources to answer e-mails generally, so I have posted the legal position in terms of the Civil Jurisdiction & Judgments Act 1982 Act as amended in 2001. This as you may know is a law introduced from a EU Directive, and the 1982 Act applies across the UK (and indeed domestic variations of it across the EU generally).

The link is: Unfair UK Bank Charges | legal help from Govan Law Centre, Glasgow, UK

Hope this is helpful to some of your forum members.

Best wishes

Mike

Govan Law Centre

Glasgow

• Confused 1

Let me just get the absolutely right as I am about to take on Abbey and live in Glasgow and the amount is going to be approx £3,000. I can and should raise an action againts them (if need be) in London (where the bank is (£5,00 limit) but they can only raise an action against me in Glasgow (£750 limit)

I know its stating the obvious but I want to make sure before my OD is removed and account closed etc.

Thanks

Further to this, if I raise a case in a London court, could I reclaim my expenses as part of the claim if I ever had to attend court?

Thanks

Kenny

The bank don't have to use the small claims procedure (we do in case we lose )

Scottish Small Claims - Limit £750.00

Summary Cause for claim £750 to £1,500.00

Ordinary Cause -for amounts over £1,500.00

Nationwide Total settlement for first claim £810.92 (Charges £570.00) total charges £2579.00 (Another 4 claims to make)

Tesco personal Finance -NO penalty charges see post end thread

Egg DPA complaint sent to ICO see thread

Egg also trying to get defaults removed

Abbey National/MBNA credit Card - Eventually settled in FULL:)

Citibank Preliminary sent 19/08/06

MBNA DPA sent 30/07/06

Mrs CharlieHo v Providian DPA sent 30/07/06

MORE TO FOLLOW

Advice & opinions of CharlieHo are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Guest NATTIE

I'm quoting from the Personal banking guide of NatWest dated February 2006 under account T&Cs section 1a page 5(in case you wanted to see it yourselves). Under general it says "If your address is in Scotland, Scottish law applies to the contract between you and us. If you live elsewhere, English Law applies between you and us."

So can someone tell me if I can use an English court against Abbey as my claim will be approx £3,000, its not worth it if it's limited to £750. As far as I can see from Mike Dailly, Govan Law centre snippet, if I use a London court I will be ok up to £5,000. Natweststaffmedmber, there terms also state that they can charge you £30 if they want for bouncing a cheque- we know this isnt the case!

Am hoping this might be the case for living in Scotland and using English court, even if T&C say otherwise.

Can someone advise before I start the ball rolling?

Kenny

Yay.

Check the information by clicking on the link to Govan Law Centre that Bankfodder posted above.

To save you hunting for it, here it is again.........

Unfair UK Bank Charges | legal help from Govan Law Centre, Glasgow, UK

Hope that this answers your questions.

Good luck with your claim.:D

• Confused 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Guest NATTIE

Yay, I was quoting directly from a leaflet word for word. No mention of an amount of charges is mentioned simply that it can be made. Please try not to read something that isn't there. Having read the Govan article, it would not surprise me if in later cases for people chasing charges for accounts opened after Feb 2006(the date of the leaflet), that this point could be raised

Hi,

natweststaffmember, I didn't mean to annoy you, you may have missunderstood the way in which it was written - sorry ! I have read the post bankfodder put up and it clearly states that I can raise a case against the bank

where they are 'domiciled' (London) - this is fine and great ! Prompted by natweststaffmember I read my own (current) Abbey "T&C" and they state

These Conditions are governed by the law of the country in the UK (i.e. England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland) where you opened your account.

So the Govan article says I can do it in London, my Abbey T&C (current ones, I dont have a copy of the ones I signed so they may have changed) say I am limited to Scotland. Which is right and how enforcable are Abbey T&C in court - is my point.

Kenny

By making unlawful punitive charges on your account then hiding behind T&Cs says to me that the T&Cs are just a smoke screen

Go for it.:)

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Guest NATTIE

I read article and Law seems to be clear on jurisdiction. It was something that I thought potentially may be an issue to accounts opened after Feb 2006. Yay, apologies for feriousness not had me coffee