New Fault during head rebuild - Sue? - Inspection? Pay repairs?

maangov
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My astra 1.6 8v had a head gasket failure. Took it into a garage and had it repaired. When i collected it it was making a real loud knocking/rattling sound. They didn't mention this and i took it straight back. 2 weeks later they can't identify problem, and assure me it's not their fault. It's a co-incidental part failure. They refuse to do anymore now, and advise if it's proved to be their fault they will pay for it.

So what do i do now? Take it to another garage and ask them to take a look and fix, and give me a written assurance it was the other garages fault (or not)? Or do i pay for an inspection? I'm not sure whats more cost effective or watertight in the case i do need to reclaim costs?

Appreciate any advice.

HSBC A/C - WON! - £1,575 Charges, Stat Interest and default removed before court!

HSBC CC - WON! - £1,025 Charges, and Stat Interest refunded

ARGOS - WON! - £250 Charges & Contractual Interest

CREATION WON! - £180 Charges & Contractual Interest

BARCLAYCARD- Court Date Set - 09/10/2007

EGG - SAR Sent 22/12/06, ID Sent 05/01/07. No progress yet.

Check they did an oil and filter change as part of the head repair.

You will need to have it diagnosed by someone or you will just remain at stalemate. You can't claim for a rattle, you will need to know what is causing it.

What was the cause of the head gasket failure, overheating?

was the head check for condition, warp etc. was it skimmed, valves seats ok and seals replaced, what were the bores like? timing belt changed, water pump change?

Certainly should have checked all the above and reported to you, and should have done oil and filter change.

Could be belt if did not change and

/ or install correctly, idler sticking and therefore belt flapping about!

Ask and get receipt for what exactly was done and what parts were changed, then get it checked out by professional automotive engineer, due you belong to AA or RAC they can out you on to somebody. Tell them taht is what you are going to do to give them a chance to respond; you nnever know!

Once you have report you can go back and ask them to put right or will take them to court. Dont drive it until looked at you may be causing more damage.

When thats been