Do i need life insurance??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all :cool: ,

I own my own property and have done for 3 years. I have recently tried to change my mortgage, because its at the end of its fixed rate, with L&G however they've tried to make me take out life insurance. Now I dunno if I actually need this. I have no dependants or anything, not married. If I popped my clogs surely my mortgage would be written off and no one would have to pay this so why would I need to invest in Life Insurance.

Marie

The mortgage wouldn't be written off, the bank/building society would sell your house to get the money back. As long as you don't want to leave the house to anyone (ie a relative) then I don't suppose it would matter too much.

A lot of employers provide free life insurance (to the value of 4 times your annual salary) which is included with a company pension. Does your employer provide this?

In my view, the suggestion that you should have life insurance is perfectly reasonable as it protects your wealth and potential wealth.

Further, you have no idea how your circumstances may change in the future. In particular buying life cover now gives an element of protection should your health deteriorate in the future and it becomes more expensive for you.

Something else to consider - have you made a will?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

A lot of employers provide free life insurance (to the value of 4 times your annual salary) which is included with a company pension. Does your employer provide this?

Be wary of relying on this.

As part of the pension scheme is paid at the trustees discretion. It may not be paid at all if the trustees cannot identify a dependent (under the rules of the scheme). They do not have to pay in accordance with the expression of wish form.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.