H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ANDENA

I think this is your thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/118338-can-i-get-interest.html

Which is in the HSBC forum. I'm going to move yout last post (#206) there so that the HSBC bods can help you out. (Bear with me, I've not done this before :))

(ps Thanks star scream)

(pps - done it. Whew)

• Haha 1

I also dont understand why failing to comply with t and c is not a breach of contract.
You and me both. Also, remember that this only applies to current T&Cs which have been carefully crafted to engender this very confusion.

I have some old NatWest ones that say "You must keep your account in credit" - a charge based on that has to be a penalty!

No doubt the OFT will come up with some amount (my bet is £12 :rolleyes:) that they will use as a trigger for taking action (like the supposedly do for credit cards) and say that is for a court to decide what actually is fair. As 'fairness' will depend on whatthe banks' costs are in real life and as there is no way they will want to divulge this information, we could end up back where we started (business as usual but with more emphasis on UTCCR1999 and less on contract penalties) - at least for personal accounts.

The OFT and the Judge are not unwise to these events and I am sure that neither party will allow a deal to be done that allows the banks to avoid future regulation on their charging regimes.post_thanks.gif
I sincererly hope you are right

Jansus, I think 'profitable' is the wrong word here (post #545). What the paragraph means is simply that, because you may get interest in court but won't via the FOS, you will get more money if you claim in court.

CI has been contentious (I think less so since the Sempra case, as that gives authority for claiming it) but, again, it is not profit. It is awarded in restitution - ie to put things back as they wuold have been if charges had not been unlawfully applied.

• Haha 1

It's a presumption that they are unlawful - the case says they must pass te fairness test - we say there is not a cat in hell'#s chance - ergo, they are unlawfull.

• 1 year later...

Actually, it may not be as bad as you think. It has opened the way for " business as usual" on CAG. All we do is claim under s5 of the UTCCR 1999 and otherwise go back to how we were 2 years ago. Waiver is lifted. Courts are open. Off we go!!

"we are not saying charges are fair, but we care saying you cant use this clause to prove it. Use this one instead.
I dont thank this is tongue in cheek, I think it is a pretty fair summary of the position.