Left work because of bullying boss... pay issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was working for a company on a temporary basis, it was all quite confusing- I didn't have a proper contract (mostly as my boss, the owner of the company, was very slack and bad with computers- To the point where I had to actually write the contracts of two other members of staff)

I have a letter, which I drafted, stating that I am working there on a temp basis workign mon-fri etc etc and both her and I signed it.

I had been there for just over 3 months when her bullying and bitchiness got too much for me and I decided to leave. I spoke to her and gave her my notice (at which point she asked what i meant by bullying and I gave her examples, to which she replied "I was only playing around with you, can't you take a joke")

Anyway, after I told her I was leaving she changed the way pur pay works, so, instead of me leaving at a time which co-incided with paydates and hence leaving with all the money I was owed, I had to wait til the next month before I would be paid for my last week, even though I had already left.

I sent an email through before the next paydate enquiring (having already left my excel time sheet with my hours owed) they messed me about a little, re-asking what was owed etc.

When I did get paid I thought it seemed low but, wondering if it might've been due to tax/ni, I requested my payslip be sent to me.

It has just arrived and I have been under paid for 15 hours.

I don't know what to do next, having known her I am almost certain this is deliberate and not an error.

I have no idea where I stand and I just want the money that is owed to me for the days I worked.

Please could someone advise?

There certainly seems to be a little pettiness going on!

I would send a letter requesting that you be paid correctly, enclosing a breakdown of the hours worked and pointing out the error. If it is possible to do this without putting it through the Manager, then do so or she will most likely sit on it without doing anything (is it a company with a hierarchy above her, or a sole trader?). Tell them that you expect a response within 10 days, and if one is not forthcoming then send a Letter Before Action. Ultimately if they ignore clear proof that they have made an error with your wages you may take action through a Tribunal to recover what you are owed.

• Haha 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you for your response, I had just been reading through your brilliant answers to a similar question.

I will write a letter, is there a way I can hold off mentioning any action for now? I think my best line of defense is to keep it sweet for the sake of my relationship with the other members of staff (just in case I need them as witnesses?)

It is her company so there is noone else to go through.

It sounds riddiculous but i'm actually nervous about writing a letter, although her bullying was more demeaning than anything else it has had a very strange effect on my confidence!

All corespondance so far has bee to her PA. I was initailly employed as her PA (temporarily) whilst the new PA, a friend of hers, worked out a few months notice.

I then trained this new PA up before taking on another role within the company and then leaving.

Is a letter a better way of dealing with such things?

Also, though it may not be much proof, before I left I printed off my work emails for each of the days I was there to prove that I had been there (just one a day) they are just simple correspondance between myself and other companies, the company accountant etc would this go some way to proving I was there if need be? (I mean in a court situation- it's a tiny office with just 5 members of staff, so they obviously saw me sitting across the desk from them)

Of course you don't have to be confrontational at this stage, and can just write a friendly, professional and courteous letter along these lines:-

Dear XXXXX

Many thanks for sending me the outstanding payslip as requested. I notice however that there appears to be a discrepancy in the amount which I have been paid amounting to 15 hours which still remain outstanding.

I have enclosed a breakdown of the hours which I actually worked, and as you can see I do not seem to have been paid for XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX when as you know I was at work as usual. I would greatly appreciate it if you would investigate this as a matter of urgency for me so that my P45 can be issued** accurately and I can tidy up my records.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

** obviously if you have already received your P45 this may be a little more complicated as the PAYE records will need to be changed - I have no knowledge of how that might work!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Happy to help! Good luck.

DONATE HERE