Abbey National

gyzmo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just found out that I have got 2 debits out of my account - first one is taking me a couple of pound overdrawn so next one, if met, will incur fees too.

Just asked Abbey for an emergency extension on overdraft and they said no, nor will they waive the fees. Got another 4 standing orders coming through in next few days that are for CCJS and I simply do not have the money to cover them.

Cant get money elsewhere (friedns or relatives) and have been turned down by university for emergency grant / loan.

I know its my fault for not having the funds, but thank you Abbey National for making my life ten times worse than it is already.

I know it's no help at all but I saw the poll on Watchdog the other night were Abbey came out worse for customer services.

Suppose this is an example of why!!

I'd change banks definitely even if it's to one with no overdraft facility and let Abbey whistle for a bit until I got on my feet.

They say they're going to charge you anyway but in the meantime you need to live:mad:

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Tried again. Spoke to some robot in India who said "You can manage your finances online" and kept repeating this in complete obliviance that it had nothing to do with my call.

Went into my local branch and practically broke down. The best they could do, they said, was to open another account (4 days), give me an overdraft of £50 (at 14%), allow the money to be withdrawn (over the counter at £3.00 I think it was) on the provisio I paid it all off within 1 month. Or I could cancel the standing orders. Yeah - with Wescot being one of them I'm sure they'll love that. I pleaded with them but they simply weren't interested. Oh well, I can half my next student loan diasppearing on bank fees, leaving me with nothing (again) come April, incurring more fees and then being dragged to court to pay them off at some stupid amount each month. Just deciding now - kiss goodbye to my degree or have a degree that's useless coz my credit rating will be wrecked by the time I graduate, thereby making it near impossible for me to get funds I need to relocate if necessary.

Gyzmo Hi :)

Are your standing orders with Wescot an amount that is set in stone? could you try get them to reduce the repayments due to hardship?

I wouldn't throw away your degree ...many students are in debt and most of it isn't their own doing.

Surely these money troubles aren't helping your studies.

Is your student loan fixed with the Abbey? if not I really wouldn't stay with a Bank that treated me this way.

I know you feel down and really low about this but when things get on top I think there's always a solution.

If you've got CCJ's then your credit ratings a bit poop anyway and I wouldn't worry about that at the minute ( easier said than done ).

I've got a friend who's a student and she subsides's her grant with doing secret mystery shopping. It's really easy and if you want to consider it then I'll pass on the links in an email she doesn't earn much but it's enough for food etc.

You can also relocate in many ways i.e the councils, housing associations, etc.

Sorry if this sounded like a lecture but sometimes we all feel bullied and cornered and debt collectors and banks make everything seem 10 times worse but remember why you started the degree and try and hang in there:)

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Hi Gyzmo

Abbey have gone down in my estimations (I wanted to say something stronger but thought I might get in to trouble). I have just closed 2 of my 3 accounts and the 3rd one is going soon when I clear the OD.

I ended up like this just after completing my degree and my credit rating is a shambles and I have a CCJ too. But it was still worth it, as I earn more now than some people I know in the same job who don't have the education.

Go to Lloyds and get a basic account, no OD, no cheque book etc. If you go over your limit they give you until 3.30pm on the same day to pay in funds to cover it and they won't charge you (I think NatWest do the same). The online banking is soooooo much better than Abbey's too. I've got into the habit of checking mine first thing everyday and its been good for me so far.

------------------------------------------------

HFC, PPI - With FOS

NatWest, Default Removal - In Progress

Intelligent Finance, Default Removal & Charges Claimback - In Progress

HSBC, Default Removal & Charges Claimback - In Progress

Abbey, Bank Charges - In Progress

Lloyds, PPI **WON**

Halifax, Charges - Court Claim **WON** Donation Made To CAG

GE Money, Charges - Court Claim **WON**

GE Money, PPI **WON**

HFC, Charges **WON**

Halifax, PPI - Court Claim **WON**

Vodafone, Default Removal **WON**

Oh and keep your head up, it'll be ok in the long run :)

HFC, PPI - With FOS

Lloyds, PPI **WON**

GE Money, PPI **WON**

HFC, Charges **WON**

Thanks peeps. The DOs are for 3 CCJs. 2 have agreed to accept daft payments - a couple of quid a month, but Wescot somehow managed to convince a court that I could still afford the same payments I was making when I was working full time! I have also asked all three if they would accept no payments for a year or so or to wipe out the debt, but they won't My problem is I have no regular income. Getting a part time job now is a bit suicidal - it takes me 2 hours to get to Uni and 2 back (that's public transport for you, and I can't cycle as I have a gammy leg (but am not disabled). If I add in anything else I need to do, for example, a brief shop, a one hour lecture a day (which does sometimes happen) can easily take over 5 hours of my day. I do odd jobs at the mo and I already do some mystery shopping as well as surveys, mutual points etc to get a bit of extra cash. Getting a part time job though would seriously ruin my chances of getting a decent grade.

The way things are, I couldn't even afford moving costs if I was offered a job elsewhere in the country (the field I am involved has good prospects but positions are fairly scarce) - but that's long term.

I have asked a couple of banks if they would transfer my account over, or open a new one. Natwest and Halifax declined (as no regular money coming in) and HSBC said the would consider me when I graduate. I have asked Student Loans for extra payment or an early payment- no joy. My family and friends have no money I could borrow (and I couldn't pay it back anyway) and a loan is definitely out the question. I have nothing worth selling, and have applied for medical trials but am not elligible due to a chest problem I have and family medical history. I was even looking at selling my body for research following my death, but it is apparently illegal. I really do have nowhere to turn without either giving up my degree (which I already gave up a £14,000 a year job to do and have dedicated the last three years for) or accepting a really poor mark, which is pointless. I also live with my ex-partner (complicated - didn't get on as a couple but couldnt bare to be apart now - it's strange but works well) which complicates matters further.

What nearly made me laugh is when Abbey asked if I wanted to apply for a loan. If they will accept body parts as payment, then I would be glad to apply.

They are a joke....... I don't understand why they can't just increase your OD to cover the CCJ payments as they are pretty important. Do they know about your CCJ's?

Although I work now I can't begin to consider what it would be like to give up my job to go back to uni, I just wouldn't cope. I had to work part time to cover costs as I was in the same situation, travelling for up to 4 hours a day to study. It used to cost me over £10 a day! I have to say with having to work part time I didn't get me a great grade.

HFC, PPI - With FOS

Lloyds, PPI **WON**

GE Money, PPI **WON**

HFC, Charges **WON**

Yeah. They do know about the CCJs - didn't make a bit of difference.

I might otherwise consider risking a poorer grade but entry qualification requires at least a 2:2 but most will only accept a 2:1 or better. Suppose basically, its get a part time job and a crap degree or no degree at all.

Hi gyzmo

I wouldn't ask to have the account swapped over just merely walk in to another Bank and say you wish to open up a basic bank account.

Your student loan money is enough to get their eyes twinkling:D

Just say you want it to have wages paid into and they basically jump at the chance of new customers.

If you don't apply for an overdraft they don't credit search you.

I swapped over from Natwest when they treated me like this and went to Yorkshire Bank who have actually been excellent!

Abbey don't deserve your money even if it's just 1p.

Keep your pecker up and best of luck x

Some of the comments here about Abbey surprise me, within the last week or so i have made a number of credit applications to rearrange my finance, and upgrade laptop, (6 year old, can't cope anymore, as i use it for work i haven't got much option).

Mint CC, (balance transfer from Lloyds CC) - declined

PC World, (laptop finance with HFC) - declined

Abbey internet loan £5500 - accepted

At this point i had an arguement with my dad regarding my credit file as EGG had screwed it up a couple of years ago and still has a current default for a loan that was settled in 2005, but anyway, mum kindly offered an interest free loan to get rid of Lloyds CC, so that was sorted.

So, after a small discussion with Abbey, (my main bank).

Abbey Branch loan - £17000 - accepted, (internet one cancelled)

and that's with arrangements to pay, missed payments, a current default and a historical default all showing on my file.

Sorry if I sound offish, but I wouldn't be suprised if Abbey would bend backwards to get new customers. Try being a customer with them for 15 years and ask fo a bit of help off them - then you will know what a bunch of arrogant t****s they are.

I think I'm gonna try with Natwest (5 year free railcard would certainly be beneficial for me) and just take basic facilities

Abbey National is the worst bank I have come across, in the world, & I deal internationally, they have cost me over 5,000 pounds in trying to trace my account, then trying to get my address and other business done has been impossible. No fax number works, telephone puts you through to India, the CEO Antonio Horta Osario just ignores everything or maybe his PA is keeping things from him. Why is Stander not doing something do they realize their name is being dirtied. The Bank of England runs away from all issues as does the BBA, the FSA pussy foots around. See my video on You Tube under Abbey National. I am astounded at the number of people who have similar problems and hate the Abbey. How are they and Stander still in business?

I have tried to contact then to no avail, Have received 10 letter telling me that within 4 weeks they will resolve the problems but from Facebook staff are saying they are instructed to fob custromers off. I want my expenses and my money. HELP