Thames Credit and APEX Management - HELP

Teletubby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies in advance if this is long winded, but I thought it best to give as much info as possible in the hope that someone can advise me.

A couple of months ago I recieved a letter out of the blue from Thames Credit claiming that I owed £162 to First National Tricity Finance, part of the Aktiv Kapital Group, and asking me to ring them urgently to discuss it. To the best of my knowledge I have never had any finance or dealings with either of those companies and so I wrote to Thames Credit explaining this and asking them to tell me what this debt related to, I also informed them that I do not conduct any financial business over a telephone (stems from being scammed once so I like to have anything in writing).

I then recieved a further demand from them for this money saying that the account was legally assigned to them some time ago and that they've been trying to contact me since. They said that by processing the account through public databases it has been confirmed that I live where I do. They failed to give me any info on what the debt relates to and they yet again ask me to phone them to speak to one of their negotiators. Arrrgghhh!! What idiots. Anyway, I write back to them again, again asking for info on what the debt is actually for, again telling them that I have never had dealing with the said companies, again telling them that I don't conduct business over a telephone, etc.

Then, I get another letter from them yet again demanding £162, yet again failing to tell me what it's for etc. etc. and this time also asking me for my previous addresses.

It's ridiculous. I have never had any finance from First National or Aktiv, and am not behind with any bills or finance. I may have been late with the odd payment for things from time to time but I am not behind on anything. I felt initially this must be some [problem] that this Thames were trying to pull, the fact they couldn't tell me what the debt was for, the fact that had I actually owed these companies I think they'd have contacted me themselves for payment before going to a debt collector, it just all pointed to it being some [problem] like they send out such letters hoping people fall for it and pay without question. Now though I am not so sure, as I've now recieved something else.

I have now recieved a demand from Apex Credit Management asking for £1760 for debt owed to Bank of Scotland. This is absurd. I have never had dealings with Bank Of Scotland either.

I signed up to Experian to get my credit report just incase there was a possibility that I had had dealings with these companies and just not realised, but my report is good. My report confirms what I thought, that everything is upto date and my credit rating is very good, I have never fallen behind on anything other than the very rare late payment. There is nothing listed that relates to First National, Aktiv Kapital, or Bank of Scotland. So I am extremely puzzled by all this.

I have lived at my present address for 7 and a half years, my previous address is linked to my Experian report and doesn't show anything outstanding either.

I'll add that I attempted to contact Apex via email but it just bounces back. I have no intention of ringing them, I would not conduct business over a telephone EVER.

Can anyone shed any light on to this as to what might be going on? Do you think this may be [problem] companies hoping I'd be silly enough to think the debts were legit and just pay up without questioning it? Or might it be a mistake? What should I do?

Hi Teletubby

I wouldn't deal with them at all now and think the best thing to do would be to make a complaint to your local Trading standards. You've had the common sense not to believe them and to get a copy of your credit file which was a good idea!

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Thanks for replying Caz.

I have just opened another letter from APEX that arrived this afternoon, and all it says is "Please call Alan Foot on 0844556 0290 ext 1308", that's it, nothing else.

I'd like to know if anyone else has ever had similar experiences with these companies (Thames Credit and APEX Management).

Anyway, will take your advice and go see Trading Standards on Monday, see what they say.

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

• 9 months later...

It sounds to me as if the debt is statute barred (i.e. you have not made a payment towards or acknowledged the debt in 6 years (5 in Scotland)....do not call them, as they will try to get you to acknowledge it !!! send letter 'M' from here by recorded delivery and don't hand sign it - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Thames are well known for trying to chase statute barred debts....and once you have sent this letter if they continue to harrass you this is what the OFT say on the matter -

Section 2.14 (b) -

continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they

will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to

harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of

Justice Act 1970.

OR if it definitely isn't you send them a letter which says...

I can categorically state that I have never had any accounts with any of the companies you mention, You have mistaken me for somebody else, If I have to write to you again, not only will I report you to Trading Standards, The Office Of Fair Trading as well as my local MP, I will charge you £20 for every letter I have to write to you.

I do not expect to hear from you again.

• 11 months later...

i got a letter when my wife left in a hurry about a debt which i knew nothing of but could not get my wife to confirm or deny they threatened me with bailiffs as im oldish and not savvy in this area ,i agreed a payment to stop bailiffs coming was i wrong and can i cancel my direct debits as i fear the bailiffs entering my home.its only ten pounds a month worried im being scammed now payed for last 12 months.:confused:

Romulus......I presume they told you this over the phone, stop paying immediately if this is not your debt. If they said they would send bailiffs then this is simply said to frighten you into paying......Thames Credit are well known for attempting to collect on debts that are statute barred i.e. for debts you may have not paid for for over 6 years....

In the first instance if you do not know what the debt is for then please send this by recorded delivery....or do see your local Citizens Advice.

This is the first letter to send - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt