Urgent advice needed please

Under Siege
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My biggest debt is with MBNA and just above 20k. I have made them offers of pro rata payments in line with my income & expenditure however they are refusing and asking for more.

I can just about afford what they are asking for but it will be a struggle.

They have given me until 8pm tonight or they will issue a default and charge the account off to a debt collector.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I assume that a debt collector would buy the debt at a fraction of the 20k, but would they be more likely to accept my pro-rata offer or would they add loads of charges and take me to court?

any help would be much appreciated.

The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

Firstly DONT PANIC you have found the right place , The members of the CAG are here to advise you the correct way of dealing with DCA and debt , If they wanted 3 arms you couldnt give them that could you , because its impossible , If its impossible to pay what they are asking then follow the advice and most importantly DONT PANIC , they are like a pack of pitbulls once they smell fear they are in like flynn.

Rule 1

DONT EVER SPEAK TO THEM ON PHONE

Rule 2

NEVER BREAK RULE 1

CAG v dca

CAG EVERYTIME .....

KEEP RIGHT ON TILL THE END OF THE ROAD ........

I have done the cca request but not the S.A.R.

I just want to get this sorted one way or other because they are adding £500 per month interest!!

Thanks for your replys btw.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

Unfortunately Under Siege as you probably know there won't be much you can do about the default at this stage, If they are not able to produce the CCA (let alone it containing the prescribed terms and being properly executed) then you could possibly fight it in court to get the default removed....

Also remember that while an account is in dispute they are not allowed to pass the debt on....

Section

2.6 from the OFT

(h.) ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are

disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

2.8 (i.) failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is

queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

2.8 (k.) not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or

disputed debt.

I spoke to a woman on the phone today, who spouted the biggest load of c**p I have heard in a long time.

I know I shouldnt speak to them on the phone, but they keep harrasing my wife and this morning they called her a liar!! so I phoned in my fury.

Here are some MBNA statements -

Because they are an American firm they adhere to American laws!!!!!!

THis might be the case, but not in Britain they dont.

I have sent them my income/expenditure 3 times now. But the lady told me - Because they are a telephone bank they will only deal with the matter on the phone.

I have until 8pm tonight to agree to there terms or the account will be sold off.

Debt Collection Charges

It's a real shame you can't record the conversations.....have they sent you a CCA back in response ? And if they are harrassing you send them the harrassment letter....

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to, FOS, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]