removal of overdraft threat

unfairly treated
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, Im wondering if anyone can help me. Im in dispute with Abbey over unfair charges to the amount of £6,000. My case was due to be heard on 18 September 2007 but as with many others the case was stayed.

I had an overdraft facility of £950 and am overdrawn by about £550. I received several letters from Abbey threatening to remove my overdraft if I did not make regular payments into the account. (I opened a parachute account back in August last year as I was worried Abbey might close my account,and have been using this to have my wage paid in and for direct debits.

I intended to have paid off the overdraft but my husband has not been in regular work since Christmas and we have not had the spare cash.

I telephoned Abbey early in January and explained this but they did not want to know. They have sent letters since and last week I wrote to them explaining my position. Unfortunately I did not send this by recorded delivery and therefore have no proof of posting. They have written today to say as they have had no reply to their letters and I have not made arrangements to repay them. They are closing my account and instructed me to send my card back and make arrangements to repay the outstanding balance within the next 7 days.

I will be able to pay the balance off but it will take a couple of weeks to get the money together.

Are Abbey allowed to close my account like this. Seems very unfair considering they owe me £6,000. can anyone advise please??

Hi There, they have to give you 28 days notice to close the account, and even then they wont really close the account as there is a balance on there. they will probably use their in house collections to write you snotograms, but have you filed at court yet? if you have you can just tell them that the account is in dispute and they will pass it back to Abbey

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi,I was in a similar position recently and had my overdraft removed along with all the threats and other nonsense:mad:

I sent them the account in dispute letters, and lo and behold I received a statement yesterday which showed the overdraft reinstated and in the preferred interest zone even though I have been using a parachute account for the last six months :rolleyes:

Hi,

The abbey did the same to me and my husband recently. I had organised for them to leave the overdraft facility on the account until the outcome of the case seeing as they applied to have my case stayed in court and argued the toss. It was agreed that the overdraft would stay on the account until then and I thought great even though I have an account elsewhere I still had money paid into this account just to keep it ticking over which prevented them from doing anything drastic until I got my money returned from them.

Anyway come 2nd January 2008, they went back on their word removed the over draft and swallowed every penny that went into the account. They marked my file as me being abusive and threatening and refused to deal with me so they spoke to my husband, asked for the return of our cards would accept payment of £100 per month until the over draft is paid back and said we could have cash cards!!!!!!

The craziest thing is they have given my husband a BANK CARD and me a CASH CARD for the same joint account...Goes to show what idiots they are as the account is joint account, shouldn't we both have the same cards???? I would have thought!!!!!

I can't be bothered to argue with them no more, all I want is my money back and then they can have their account and cards and stick it where the sun dont shine!!!!!!!!!!

Ladidi

Well,well,well, guess I spoke to soon. Received a letter today from

DEBT MANAGEMENT & RECOVERY SERVICES LTD(Part of Abbey National plc)

who according to the letter have been instructed to obtain immediate settlement of the above account.:rolleyes:

Can't make out the signature, but it's pp Kerri Popple. These people are truly

cretins of the highest order:x. Do they really believe that by keeping everything "in house " the account in dispute letters do not apply. It seems to me that the left and the right are no longer communicating.

This is one of the main reasons that the stay on claims is so unfair and one sided. Our claims come to a standstill, yet those idiots have a free hand to do whatever they want:mad:

Sorry to hijack this thread and rant on,but it always seems like one step forward and three steps back. These morons really Pi** me off.

Hi,

How long did it take for the abbey to get nasty, ie. debt companies chasing you etc?

I have an o/d of £2400 and £200 is to be added again this month in charges, but I dont agree. Sent them umpteen letters about previous complaints, but I said in latest one that I would pay £50 per mth at mo until cashflow improves as we are self employed. Heard nowt yet, but want to get ball rolling in correct direction so I am ready to fight these greedy £££££££s

What format letter do I need to send to put account in dispute and where does it go? Otherwise you receive a standard computer generated letter saying they have umpteen weeks to resolve!

• 2 months later...

Hi all, well ive been lucky enough to put enough money into my account to pay off the overdraft with a couple of hundred left over (thanks to the nice gentleman at the Inland revenue who sent my husband a tax rebate!!). However, I really dont want to leave this in the bank --just enough to keep the account open. As there will be no more money going in after this, will they keep the account open with just a few quid in? I dont want to close it until I get my bank charges back.

Since paying the cheque into my account, which will clear the overdraft with a bit left over, we have received another threatening letter from Abbey (that's about 6 now). I was reading the thread nowayjose and wondered if I could adapt one of the letters quoted there to send to Abbey, sort of retrospectively. As they have obviously broke the rules again, can I demand (ask nicely) that they give back the interest I have been charged. They first threatened to remove my overdraft in January. I phoned them to let them know they were in breach of the banking code etc. as the case was in dispute. The letters still came but were less threatening. Have I missed the boat?? Can anyone suggest anything. Im worried that the balance from the money left after the overdraft is paid will mysteriously dissappear in more illegal charges.