No goodwill gesture due to court case

MikeBigg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I exceeded my overdraft limit with an A&L current account by 8p. They've charged me £85.

I phoned them and asked them to refund the £85 as a gesture of goodwill. I was told that becuase of the coming court case, the OFT had told them not to refund any charges!

Sigh.

Is it worth pursuing a goodwill gesture, or should I just wait for the outcome of the court case (whenever that maybe) and claim then?

Thanks,

Mike

I find it incredible they can treat customers like this for a breach of 8p!:mad:

I suspect you won't have much luck in getting the charges refunded as a GOGW.

I would try phoning them again and asking to speak to someone higher in authority and you may get a different outcome.

Failing that there is lots of info regarding the test case in my signature!

Hmmm. Well I find out this evening, that even though I had returned the account to good order - I've been hit by their £5 per day charges which has taken the account to the wrong side of the line again.

It beggars belief.

Oh and the 8p over was due to a £5 charge they made for me not crediting the account with enough money.

How do I stop the £5 a day penalty? By paying the punitive charges that's how.

Frankly, this is an unbelieveable way to treat *customers*. But I guess everyone here thinks that way.

My question is - is there a way I can get these £5 a day penalties to stop?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'd advise you to write (urgently) to A&L (customer services?) to explain your circumstances and to request that they stop imposing the £5 per day penalty. If they continue to add this daily charge to your account there's a chance that you'll struggle to get off the 'hamster's wheel' so to speak............. e.g., the constant charges often make it impossible to get back in credit with the account and you end up with extended overdrafts, loans you didn't really want, etc.

Tell them that if they don't stop these daily charges, you'll be making a complaint to the FOS.................... immediately! ;)

It may not work, but it's worth a try, especially as the test case has put a stop to charges refunds at the mo as you know.

Best of luck :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Similar thing happened to me with the Halifax account but they refunded after I explained to them what happened so its complete Bulls**t that the OFT have told them not to refund. A & L are not even party to the OFT proceedings! These are the worse bank I have ever dealt with!:mad:

I did get my money back in Dec when I asked, so what they told you doesn't appear right. They passed it onto an investigation area.

still got hit by their £5 charges though which put over again

they always win, unless you claim them all back which is what i may well do now. Getting fed up of them not helping people, fools.

I hate to put a pessimistic tone to your thread, but in my experience A&L pay no attention whatsoever to complaints. I thought HSBC's customer service was down there with the worst, but A&L have proved themselves as sympathetic and flexible as the Nazis. IMHO.

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided

• 2 weeks later...

I have had no luck with them - I have spoken to half a dozen customer services reps over the last fews weeks, each of them agreed that they charges were unfair, but none had the authority to make even partial refunds.

I spoke to a manager once - and I had to be quite forceful to get to talk to him - he was the slimiest, most self-important person ever.

Unbelieveably low levels of customer service!

To cap it all I face another £150 of charges this month because of their charges.

Mike

That is ridiculous, however we all seem to be under their laws. They seem to want to grab as much money off anyone they can. Have you tried speaking to the IFA yourself, get them involved for some clought. As this has nothing to do with the court cass. Get some advice from them otherwise A%L will just carry on going with it. They don't care nowdays, they're customer service is almost as good as England were at the weekend. RUBBISH, they all need a good ( insert swear word here ) slap.