Statutory Demand rec'd today :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I today received (hand posted - actually knocked on the door and gave me the paper) a Statutory Demand. This is from some debt dated about 10 years ago!!

In the document, they claim I owe them about £7k for a car. They have an agreement number and car index plate number. The recovery company is Ridgeworth Fairmile Recovery...

Ok, in simple terms, what do I do?

If it is over six years old it is statute barred unless the company has been in contact with you in the interim. In th meantime you must act quickly to get this sorted out by getting it stopped, do you actually owe the money, if not then they are on a sticky wicket, suggest you read the following from the insolvency help line?

Legal Issues Explained - Statutory Demand

But as I said I'm pretty sure that this is staute barred.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

This is all likelihood a 'try on' by Ridgeworth. They will know that after 10 years any debt is statute-barred and probably have no intention of coming up with hard cash to fund a bankruptcy petition.

Nevertheless, unlike various forms of 'threat-o-grams' from DCAs, this action must be taken very seriously. They are probably hoping that you do not know at 'statute barred' and that you will acknowledge you owe something if you write to them. Whatever you do, do not acknowledge the debt in writing but follow the advice from the earlier posts.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Doc is spot on as usual....(Hi Doc and a Happy New Year)....also bear in mind DO NOT HAND SIGN THE LETTER....I've had a look through a variety of web sites but am not even sure if they hold a credit licence !!!

If it is over six years old it is statute barred unless the company has been in contact with you in the interim.

Not true. They could have sent a million letters and made a million 'phone calls.

Contact is deemed as the debtor writing to the creditor and acknowledging the debt.

You can either arrange for the Stat Demand to be set aside or await and see if they pay for a Creditor's petition and then oppose it (this would lose them at least £600 or so!)

Not true. They could have sent a million letters and made a million 'phone calls.

Contact is deemed as the debtor writing to the creditor and acknowledging the debt.

You can either arrange for the Stat Demand to be set aside or await and see if they pay for a Creditor's petition and then oppose it (this would lose them at least £600 or so!)

Damn beat me to it:D

So.. what's best to do? I would imagine having it set aside, but the idea they would lose money makes me want to wait, but it's a risk isn't it?

Absolutely sure of no contact whatsoever. In the SD, they say the sale was dated 09/11/98 and a notice of default and agreement terminated on 19/06/1999. I've moved a number of times since then, and no way would have got in contact regarding this.

Bear in mind that statute of limitations only applies of there has been ZERO acknowledgement in writing or by payment, in over SIX years.

If at any point within these 10 years the debt has been acknowledged then it is unlikely that statute barring applies.

By the sounds of it they are well and truly urinating into the wind with this one.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

I'd have to agree. I for one know that I have had no contact (of course) since the vehicle was taken away back then... These people are just scummy vultures with nothing better to do. So maybe I'll wait and see what they do...

If at any point within these 10 years the debt has been acknowledged then it is unlikely that statute barring applies.

:confused:

maybe I'm havign a tired day today matey but eh?

It could have been acknowledged within the 1st 4 years of the ten?!?!?