Council Tax Bailiffs And Advice From Council

CRED
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a demand from Phoenix bailiffs for £500 council tax, they say that they want paying in full, I think that the bill relates to a time when I was n't working and on income support so I have queried this. I have expained that I am working part time and a single parent and offered £20.00 per month as I have just started a new job. The council told me that phoenix won't accept such a small amount, I am reluctant to make an offer of repayment that I can't afford. The woman at Trafford council told me that she would send an income and expenditure form and that Phoenix would only accept an offer of instalments if I signed a walking possession order! and it would need to be more than £20.00 per month! I told her that Trafford had the right to take the debt back and that they should have control over phoenix about what they can and can't take.(surely it is n't up to phoenix ?) She also told me that if the debt was n't repaid within 3 month phoenix would have to add extra charges., I told her that I would be querying this and she said' I know about the law concerning these things and they can! so help please, can they force me into a repayment schedule that I can't afford? Do I have to sign a walking possession order to get them to agree to installments? and can they add charges on just because I can't clear the debt within 3 months?

The council woman is WRONG - Phoenix don't write the debt collection rules, the council does. Did you manage to get her name?

You really need to go and visit the council in person to get this looked at by a senior person as it sounds as if you should be classed as vulnerable.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN A WALKING POSESSION ORDER - this is not needed when paying in installments... it takes away YOUR rights and gives the bailiff an unfair advantage.

Somebody else will be along soon to give more help.

Thanks for your prompt reply, stupidly I did n't get her name, I was very upset when she spoke to me and did n't think,I think you are right as I should be classed as vunerable for several reasons, I will be greatful for any more help