Good idea or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am thinking about taking the initiative when it comes to my DCAs. I believe 1 cca to definately be unenforceable, 1 is probably unenforceable and 1 I think might be enforceable in court.

Given that at the present moment none are enforceable I have written a letter to each saying that beacuse they are unenforceable that

" I suggest that you accept all monies already paid to you as full and final settlement of the alleged debt"

Good idea or not?

It's certainly worth a try. At the very least it's a stepping stone to negotiating with them. And being unenforcable, they should consider themselves lucky to have anything at all. See how it goes. Perhaps they'll be realistic? You never know.

I'd say though that, "as a goodwill gesture only, I am prepared to consider all monies paid in respect of the alleged debt to be final. This should not be construed in any way as an acknowledgement of said debt."

The worst that can happen is that they say no. Alternatively they may offer you a vastly reduced settlement of some kind because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a "difficult" debtor e.g. one who understands their legal position.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The worst that can happen is that they say no. Alternatively they may offer you a vastly reduced settlement of some kind because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a "difficult" debtor e.g. one who understands their legal position.

The problem with this is that such an agreement can't be binding. If you were to state an offer, even with a greatly reduced amount (i.e. you believe the debt is unenforceable, but offer £10 in full and final settlement of all liabilities) then such an agreement MAY be enforceable.

A Without Prejudice heading would help

I believe they then cannot use that letter in court

... and neither can you... any settlement agreement should be written carefully, and should be showable in court

I am thinking about taking the initiative when it comes to my DCAs. I believe 1 cca to definately be unenforceable, 1 is probably unenforceable and 1 I think might be enforceable in court.

Given that at the present moment none are enforceable I have written a letter to each saying that beacuse they are unenforceable that

" I suggest that you accept all monies already paid to you as full and final settlement of the alleged debt"

Good idea or not?

personally... I would simply send them an offer letter for 10%-20% of the debt, and see what happens. Worst they can do is reject it.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.