Can a union refuse to help ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3674 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In my workplace there is two unions , i shall call them union A and Union B

90% of the work force is in union A and all the elected union reps are from union A

For those staff that are in the minority union , who have no elected reps - can the union reps refuse to represent us that are not in there union ? They are saying they can go to a hearing and the like as a "companion" only but cannot represent us or assist with any problems we may have as we are not in there union , even though we work in the same place ?

Surely if they are the elected work place union reps they should have to represent everyone regardless of which union you are in ?

In my workplace there is two unions , i shall call them union A and Union B

90% of the work force is in union A and all the elected union reps are from union A

For those staff that are in the minority union , who have no elected reps - can the union reps refuse to represent us that are not in there union ? They are saying they can go to a hearing and the like as a "companion" only but cannot represent us or assist with any problems we may have as we are not in there union , even though we work in the same place ?

Surely if they are the elected work place union reps they should have to represent everyone regardless of which union you are in ?

The union members pay subscription fees ("union subs").

Where it is in the interest of the union members the union may choose to act in a way that supports the non members, but only because they can say it is because it is in their members' interests.

If you aren't in a union & wanted to be sure of union support : join.

If you are in the "minority union" : shouldn't they be representing you- what else are you paying them for?

Edit : rereading this : if they are elected to represent "all staff" then they should do so.

If they are elected as "union A 's rep(s)", then Union B should be seeking to have representation or an agreement with union A

As an ex long serving Shop steward and Branch Chairman, hopefully I can help you with this one

If you belong to Union B and then union A is not required to represent you.

HOWEVER

Union A reps can choose to help you in their own right under the right to be accompanied but you would not get further support from their union. Also most union reps would not support a non member as it undermines those that pay their subs.

HOWEVER

If you are a member of union B, then union B should provide you with representation and you have the right to request a reasonable adjournment or postponement of a disciplinary in order to get a meeting planned with you, your rep and the employer. It could be the area organiser assists you or another rep from elsewhere is brought in to assist you. Your union should have a contact number for its local branch. I recommend contacting them for advice.

HOWEVER (Again)

Your union can refuse to represent you in certain cases. You would need to read your T+Cs. As esp in places such as retail most union reps are VOLUNTARY positions they can not be compelled to help you so if you offend a rep or act contrary to your unions rules and regulations you could end up without support.

Hope that helps you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Re workplace elections.

Shop steward elections should only be elections of members of the said union.

If union A has a shop steward election then only union A members are allowed to vote in the matter

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I think they should represent you because I agree, what else are you paying for?

Two unions in place in this situation. He belongs to union B, Union A is the one with the reps.

Therefore he doesn't pay union A and therefore they will not represent him.

Union B should help unless there is more background to the case we are not ware of

indeed sabre, the simple explanation is don't ring the AA when your in the RAC just because they both fix cars.

Your choices

1. Swap unions

2. Ask your union for support

3. Sit around and do nothing so you end up representing yourself or being left out in the cold.

Thanks for replies

Its a bit of a muddle in the organisation i work for. There is approx 4500 employees spread across different sites.

About 10 years ago union B was the union that nearly all staff were members off , but over the years staff became unhappy with them and felt they were to cosy with senior management , a lot left to join a different union and now across the entire workforce its approx 50/50 . In some areas of work Union A is in the majority , in other areas Union B is the majority

Of course the head honchos of union B (which still have the slight overall majority and the senior union person overall that deals with high up negotians etc) , unhappy that a lot of there members left and joined a different union, have told there reps in the areas where they have the majority that they are NOT to help anyone who is not in union B . Its just unfortunate i am in an area where union B is in the minority ......as i said a bit of a mess and just seems like the two unions are more interested in fighting with each other rather than doing the job they are elected for

(i chose not to name the two unions as they are both very large nationally and dont want to start a debate or arguement on which is better ..... )

Union's talk the language of 'all things to everyone', but they actually do what they like when that like, they are like Chameleons, they have super camouflaging powers, they need to be watched like a hawk.

Speak to their Head Office, if local Reps aren't cooperating.

Union staff have very limited resources, its pretty understandable that they would want to focus those on members. Otherwise what would be the point of paying subscription fees.

We'll in this instance if the interests of the members are aligned with the interests of the non-members, then representation shouldn't be an issue.

Not related to response.

http://webextdev.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/r/p/Acas_guide_Non-Union_Representation-accessible-version-July-2011.pdf

Union staff have very limited resources, its pretty understandable that they would want to focus those on members. Otherwise what would be the point of paying subscription fees.

Agreed, but it is at the discretion of the Union. I can understand if they do provide representation, but can also understand why this union doesn't want to provide representation to someone who is not paying their subscription fee. If the Op wants the help of Union B its only fair to join them.

Most common areas unions *MAY* represent non members when its in the interests of their members is Health and safety.