accepted "gesture of goodwill"

GotMugd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If I accepted a gesture of goodwill as full & final settlement, (a long time ago, £150 for £2000ish if charges), is that game over? Or can I say it was an unfair contract? :(

Game over you made a settlement with them. Bad move . :(

You can claim for further charges from the date of the agreement.

It is possibly maybe game over, but post (your letter included if you have one) in full the actual wording from the Lloyds letter and we will tell you.

There are many ways where a settlement is not full and final. If, for example, they wrote to you and then just deposited the £150.00 into your account, with no written response from you accepting the offer.

However, if they wrote to you and sent you a cheque, through your conduct of cashing the cheque you will probably have accepted their offer.

For £2K it is certainly worth investigating further.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

This is not necessarily the case. For any agreement to be binding in English law each party to the agreement must provide what is termed 'consideration'. This simply means something of value in the eyes of the law. With these offers in full and final settlement your consideration consists of a promise not to sue for the remainder. The bank however, does not provide any consideration because they are only giving back what in law belongs to you. The law does not enforce onesided promises. In order to establish that they have provided consideration they would have to prove that the charges were lawful.

So any agreement regarding the amount accepted by you for the is meaningless and you may pursue the remainder of the charges, unless - and this is highly unlikely - the agreement was made by deed.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Hagenuk, for what it is worth, I do not agree with your point relating to consideration. The fact that the Banks are paying a sum of money is good consideration.

If you follow through your argument to its logical conclusion, then that means none of the offers made by the banks that have been subsequently accepted by claimants are binding, as the banks are only giving you back your money. This cannot be correct.

Additionally why would banks make any partial offers to settle matter, if they are unenforceable in law? If, as you say, the sum they are offering, is only returning back you money and therefore does not amount to good consideration.

Notwithstanding the fact that we consider the banks have taken our money, the banks do not accept this point and are offering money back that they consider is theirs.

Anyway this does not really help the thread starter, GotMugd post the wording here of the settlement correspondence and I am sure further advice with ensue.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Notwithstanding the fact that we consider the banks have taken our money, the banks do not accept this point and are offering money back that they consider is theirs.

Yes but to show that it is theirs they would have to show that the bank charges were lawful which they are not going to do.

Claim it back I know of at least one other who has been successful. It matters not the wording of any agreement but more the form. Ie if it was made by deed (the document must state that it is a deed and must be signed and witnessed) or if it was a Tomlin order (generaly after court proceedings have commenced) then you won't be able to. But if it was simply a written document with no such formalities then you should be able to claim it back.

Hagenuk, for what it is worth, I do not agree with your point relating to consideration. The fact that the Banks are paying a sum of money is good consideration.

No. The money they are paying is already yours, therefore it is not classed as consideration.

If you follow through your argument to its logical conclusion, then that means none of the offers made by the banks that have been subsequently accepted by claimants are binding, as the banks are only giving you back your money. This cannot be correct.

As zootscoot mentions that depends on the circumstances surrounding the repayment. In cases such as this though, it is correct.

Additionally why would banks make any partial offers to settle matter, if they are unenforceable in law? If, as you say, the sum they are offering, is only returning back you money and therefore does not amount to good consideration.

Why would banks take the charges in the first place when they are unenforceable by law? Because it makes them more money.

Just because the bank says it, doesn't mean it's true. That point is up to a judge to decide, and we all know how reluctant the banks are to let that happen.

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.