I bought a LG TV from Curry's and now it has a fault after 19 months....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My £399 LG Tv I purchased from Curry's developed a manufacturing fault after 19 months of use.

LG engineers have confirmed it's a fault not through wear and tear.

I have contacted Curry's but they are demanding I pay £95 for them to pick up and inspect it to decide of it is a manufacturing fault. I'm wary of doing this. 

Is it fair for me to expect a mid priced TV to last longer than 19 months?

I'm thinking of writing a letter before action to the chairman.

Thoughts? Thanks. 

they under CRA have one chance to repair it.

can you not drop it off at your local knowhow desk?

no you shouldn't have to pay anything ...you've done the report. but i'm interested in the comment of 'not through wear and tear', so LG are clearly stating its a manu fault in writing?

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Rich and welcome to CAG

Have LG engineers examined your actual TV - if so, why are they not accepting responsibility and repairing the fault you refer to.

Are Curry's aware of LG's report ?

"This summer", there is due to be a Right to Repair law making manufacturers responsible for maintaining faulty goods (including TV's) for up to 10 years, to reduce goods being dumped so they last longer.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I think we have mis-read your post and thought you were talking about 19 weeks – and not 19 months.

In the first six months, it is correct that the repairers would have one opportunity to repair it after which they would have to replace or refund. However that doesn't seem to be relevant here if you have had the set for 19 months.
On that basis, we have to move to the general provisions of consumer legislation and that is that you are entitled to expect that the TV will be of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

You are completely right to expect that a £400 TV set will last longer than 19 months. I would have thought five years or six years or more would be a minimum expectation.
Imagine if LG or Currys try to sell these TVs and actually advertise them on the basis that it will last you two years before you need any major repair. They wouldn't sell any.

Presumably the opinion you have from the LG engineer is in writing? Why did you go to them first rather than Currys?

If you do have the opinion in writing then Currys are behaving outrageously – but unfortunately, true to form – in raising ridiculous obstacles to your assertion of your consumer rights.

We can help you deal with this but don't expect Currys to come easily. They have become a shocking company in the past few years and you should realise that they will be prepared to spend more money on trying to shirk their responsibilities and to crush you that it would cost them simply to deal with the problem.

However, you will find it very interesting – and of course with our help you will win

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments and advice. Let me try and be clearer.

I complained to curry's in March of this year. This is the point my tv screen started showing lines on it. They have steadfastly stuck to their £95 deposit to check if it's a wear and tear issue or manufacturing issue

I contacted LG about a month ago. They asked me to do a screen test and send them a picture. LG responded with 'I am just getting in contact as we have received a response from our Technical Team on file advising that they have reviewed the images on file and can confirm this is a screen fault.'.

I then forwarded the LG support email to Curry's support so they could see that LG are saying it's faulty. Curry's just responded that they would determine this and to pay the £95 deposit. 

I currently have an open case with Curry's support via Resolver plus a case number from LG. LG have stated that as the TV is over a year old this would be a paid repair if sent back via them. 

If you are using Resolver to try get a solution, then I am afraid that we can't help you any more until the you decide that your complaint through Resolver is getting nowhere.

The people at Resolver get paid. We do everything free of charge. We don't get paid.
I'm afraid we not in the business of duplicating the efforts of some other organisation – and of course getting advice from two places could lead to conflicting advice and potentially cause extra difficulties for everyone.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks